View previous topic :: View next topic   Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
MenWithSkirts
Officer

re: Blade and Soul

It's finally here! Blade and Soul has been given an EU release of early 2016 with closed beta starting on 30th of October. It will be f2p with an optional subscription for extra quality of life benefits i.e bonus combat xp/monthly nc coins/access to auction house from anywhere, the usual stuff. All while being strictly against any p2w systems. (It will be using the same model from the Taiwan servers, which are very highly regarded)

For those who know nothing about the game it orignally launched in Korea in 2012 and has since become one the top e-sports and most played mmo in Asia, while being begged for over here in the west. Our pleas have finally been heard.

Heavily based on chinese mythology and character / class design.

It is an action mmo (like GW2 and Tera) which focus's on fluid, fast-paced combat with a deep combo system which player skill is rewarded rather than the rock-paper-scissor class system most mmo's use.

It has no holy trinity, rather all classes have access to self heals and potions which can be used in combat, and focus' more on player evasion tactics and timing blocks/parries/stuns/knock downs and other crowd control effects. Because of this emphasis on player skill, all dungeons can be solo'd or duo'd by extremely skilled players, thus rewarding more loot and gold.

In my time playing the alpha, the system they use is the best combat I have experienced in any mmo. Each npc has "tells" that once you know what they will do it is possible to clear dungeons without taking any damage just from smart play. It feels extremely rewarding to take out a world boss' from picking the right attack side / timing cc effects / nuking at the right openings and backing off at the right time.

This translates to pvp very differently to other mmo's games PvP, feeling somewhat more like a 3D fighting game than an mmo pvp arena. Things like juggles / animation canceling / baits / zone control and pokes all come into effect in the games 1v1, 2v2, and 3v3 modes. All of which gear has no merit and everyone is on the same playing field, the more skilled you are the more you will win.

It also has 6v6 "battlegrounds" however gear and level is factored into these, so it is harder to win if you are in a PuG, however it isn't impossible to take out a higher geared/leveled team.

The questing is story based, and all voice acted, much akin to FFXIV. So far with my limited playtime the story seems pretty decent, however the english voice overs are not the greatest by any means. It folows the same general patch of leveling that most mmo's offer, go here > grab side quests > do side quests/main quests > move to next location. However it does it by immersing you into the game world it makes you feel that each side quest matters, and each quests hub has it's own mini stories that actually make you care to do them.

The dungeons come in many forms. From random caves scattered across the game world, to the instanced 6-mans and 4-mans and even end game 24-man world bosses. Each dungeon has it's own flow and flavour, with all of them having dynamic quests inside each dungeon that are randomly generated.

Gear comes in the form of "Bopae (Spirit Shield)", in which you have a wheel consisting of 8 slices. Each "slice" has its own stats and set bonus' from the same type of slice. I.E there are 3 level 20 bopae sets: evasion, crit, movement speed. You can mix and match between these sets and still get the set piece bonus', and any duplicate bopae you farm or collect you can fuse the stats onto the higher bopae to even greater enhance the stats on it!

There is also costume galore, with no baring other than cosmetics! With over 120 costumes at present, with even more to be added in future patches. Costumes come from dungeons/quests/achievements/random drops and are handily stored in a smart wardrobe system to save inventory spots.

Overall my experience in the alpha was very good and if they can transition smoothly from the upcoming beta to launch, while still listening to the players I feel it will do very well in NA/EU.

Screenshots:

Scenery:

-

This one is when you are dragon pulsing (doing some Crouching Tiger flying about shit). Really cool.

Quest interface / Shop Interface:

Inventory / Wardrobe / Talent Tree

The awesome party finder interface (cross server, there is a server only option that doesn't take you out the area you are in)

Some random shots:

BOOBS!

Looks good Jdog will be taking a look, do I get an axe?

Slivez wrote:

Looks good Jdog will be taking a look, do I get an axe?

Yes the Destroyer class gets an axe. And you pick people up with and launch them.

Decent skintight suits + nice gameplay = fucking sold

Slivez
Officer

Has an axe, sold!

got it w8ting on 30th to try it

Bompi Ursidae
Veteran

Sooo, are any of you guys gonna jump on this? Im most likely going to give it a try and just wondering if we're gonna go on a specific server or something.

I'm looking at it, but i havnt backed it so wont be testing it out for another week, 

There's several people who are gonna be playing this as far as I know, so should definitely try to all go on the same server. 

Slivez
Officer

I would be willing to give a look and mirror what alyx has said "lets get on same server".

I believe Jerrek is already on this so maybe he can suggest a server?

I made my character to Windrest. Feel free to join me there!

EDIT: My characters name is Aza Miyuko (big suprise!) feel free to add me to your friendlist.

Last edited by Aza Miyuko on Sat Jan 16, 2016 3:51:03; edited 1 time in total

Alyx~
Elder

Windrest is going to be the largest EU server, so if you want to create your character there, expect some que times. Numbers copied from reddit, although these only illustrate the number of premium-members. 

Server EU:
Windrest: 8312
Ebon Hall: 1834
Starfall Crater: 2050
Cardinal Gates: 836
Wild Springs: 1467
Hao District: 735
[DE] Frostgipfel: 5028
[DE] Bambusdorf: 1300
[DE] Windweide: 1045
[FR] Dokumo: 2780
[FR] Ogong: 997
[FR] Hogdonny: 316
TOTAL:26700

EDIT: Made my character on Windrest as well, since going to a large server is probably the best bet if you end up playing the game for a long time. 

MenWithSkirts
Officer

Right guys new info!

ExG will be setting up a guild wihtin BnS.

Server: Windrest - EU

Faction: Cerulean Order

Is the most popular server the best choice? Queue horror!

Alyx~
Elder

In the long term, yes. Close to the launch? Absolutely not. 

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Excelcius Forum Index -> Video Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: